Sunday, July 8, 2007

Ups and Downs

Today is Sunday.

Although I knew it would be hard to talk about how Nancy is doing with all of the kind people at our Church who care so much for her and have been praying for her all along, I wanted to let everyone know that Nancy may be getting more tired as each day passes, but she isn't in any pain -- even without any pain medication. We are both very sad that we have to face this, but our faith and the love of all of you makes it easier. I don't know how some people find the strength to go through this without our 3 Fs (Faith, Family and Friends). Our daughter, Kelly wasn't going to work until about 10:00 am, so I decided I could get to our 8:00 service before she had to leave. Thanks to all of you at Church with whom I spoke that wanted me to let Nancy know how you are keeping us in your prayers. Believe me, she knows. For those of you who may be reading this blog for the first time today, I hope the news it brings lets you know we are dealing with this as best we can. Please feel free to leave a comment. When we read those comments together, we often feel sad that things have to change this way, but we appreciate hearing from you.

As I mentioned, Nancy really had trouble waking up yesterday after taking that sleeping medicine on Friday night. Well, she started to wake up near the time some family members arrived for a support visit and impromptu cookout last night. Our children, Ryan, Amy and Kelly were there, along with Amy's husband, Henry. Sue Valentine, Ryan's mother-in-law, brought some tasty wine and even tastier dump cake. In fact, everybody brought something to make the dinner complete. I felt a little guilty eating when Nancy couldn't, but she was glad that at least she was able to have some chicken broth, jello - and the ever coveted popsicle. Even though Nancy can "eat" these clear liquids, the vacuum device attached to her NG tube just sucks the liquid back out of her stomach -- since it couldn't pass the intestinal blockage anyway. However, "eating" these items does give Nancy the pleasure of tasting some "food" when she feels the need for it.

Today we are mostly resting, watching DVDs, recalling memories and finding ways to make today, "Not Just Another Day".

12 comments:

bev vreeland said...

I am so glad you all are making the most of your valuable time. I've seen some of those family videos/DVD's and they are definitely fun to watch. The band video performances should bring back some fond and funny memories and stories. The one I remember most is the first time I really got to know Nancy when repairing that pink/yellow chiffon 2 layered flag. Oh, and the trips to Tulsa, Memphis,Nashville and Chicago with the ham sandwiches and the drummers. Nancy, I hope that makes you smile, because I am laughing out loud just thinking about it.

Amy said...

Mrs. Vreeland,
I can do nothing but laugh and feel a twinge of embarrassment still from scorching that flag! Man, I'll never out-live that one!
Mom and Dad,
Hope you are enjoying the afternoon and evening while watching videos and reminiscing. Henry and I are thinking of you. We saw Conrad and Theda at Henry's baseball games and they send their love and prayers.
Miss you and will talk with you soon! Love you.

Jack said...

Hello Alan and Nancy,
Two of the women in our prayer chain at church asked me this morning how Nancy was doing. I told them that things are much better emotionally now that she's home. They said to tell Nancy that the prayer chain continues to pray for her.
Alan, I spoke with our Mom in Madison today also. I told her about the things in the blog, and she said to tell you both that she's thinking about Nancy, and she sends her love.
Doreen, Charlie, and Bill went to Beth & Geoff's party in Cedarburg yesterday. Then Doreen & Charlie went to the cabin for a couple of days, and Bill is staying with Mom in Madison. That's about all the family news, so now you both know what's going on in both Madison and Florida.
My prayers are with you,
Love,
Jack

Dee Dee said...

The one I laugh about (now) is piling in a van with the entire guard and some driver we didn't know. I forget...did he even speak english?? The look on Nancy's (and Bev's) face as the van door shut was one of confident fear! Good memories!

Dee Dee Emry

Susie Mentel said...

Alan, thank you for sharing with everyone who has been fortunate to have Nancy a part of their lives. Although our memories don't go back far, it always amazed both of us how much we had in common(Job's Daughters and Orland Park to name a few!) Please know Jim and I are here if there is anything you need. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Susie

Jenny Risley said...

Thank you so much for keeping Nancy's friends in the loop. I truly admire your faith and strength during this time. Nancy is an inspiration to us all and it has been my honor to work with her for the last 5 years. We will continue to keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Melanie (Berken) Novinska said...

It's good to hear you got some wonderful time with family this past weekend. We're sending lots of prayers from Wisconsin. God Bless. Mel (Berken) and Tyson Novinska

Jennie said...

Even I remember hearing the story about the guard in the van with the person who spoke no English...

What a wonderful blessing you both are to the people whose lives you touch. I hope you understand that!

I had a fudgesicle on Saturday night and thought of you, Nancy!

Love from Scott, Jennie and Annabelle

P.S. My parents have been reading the blog and send their love and prayers, too.

Ellen Holdredge said...

Dear Nancy and Alan,

First of all, thank you SO much for giving us this blog address! I've been thinking of you constantly but haven't wanted to intrude or take up your precious time with my babbling phone calls--I AM aware that I can ramble on ... :~)

I so appreciate being able to know what's happening with you and to be able to leave you a line (or MANY!)that you can read if you feel up to it.

Thank you sooo much for the beautiful glasses you sent Kristen and Richard!! I can't believe that as you are there, "up to your elbows in alligators" so to speak, you managed to fit that in...AND to send a note aplogizing for "being late" with the respnse card! That certainly was NOT a priority but we do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

We're in high-gear wedding mode now and, having been thru this yourselves so recently, I'm sure you can relate. It feels like we will never get everything done.

But then I try to b r e a t h, slow down, and enjoy the process, knowing that this is the stuff family memories are made of...that this is supposed to be one of the FUN parts of life! I am altering bridesmaid dresses (OH NOOO!), finishing up making the flower girl dress, AND trying to lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks so I can squeeze into MY dress! and on and on ad infinitum...

I've been remembering about all our color guard escapes, too...especially the deer-in-the-headlights look on Nancy's face when she walked into the chaos of flag-making in our basement..I just KNEW she was thinking "WE NEED BEV BACK!!"

Bye for now...hold your family close-you're bessed to have such a special one.

Love and prayers,
Ellen, Wayne and Kristen, too

Gaye said...

Nancy, it makes me smile just to think of you at home with your family and your puppy. Over the years hearing so many stories about your family, the love you feel for them has always come through.
Alan, I'd like to add my thanks to those of your other readers. This blog makes me feel connected to you through all the ups and downs. Nancy has spoken so often about you. Everyone who knows Nancy knows what a strong, loving husband you are. Your strength and positive attitude have helped support Nancy through this and now you are supporting all of us!
Thank you,
Gaye

Cindy Sonnenschein said...

Alan,
I too want to thank you soooo much for the daily updates on Nancy. It is so kind of you to share your "personal journey" with her friends who care so much about her! And it is nice to be able to send comments to you and Nancy this way.
And Nancy, I do care so much about you. You are constantly in my thoughts. I loved hearing how you are able to enjoy "family time", "Cricket time", watch DVDs, and talk about important and funny memories, and even "eat" a few snacks these past few days. I know how very important this time with your loving family is to you, and to them Continue to enjoy your time together! You are all in my prayers daily.
Love, Cindy

Mary Carol Schilli said...

Nancy,
Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so happy you are able to be home with your family, hold Cricket in your lap, and eat popsicles anytime you want! Alan, please give Nancy a BIG hug for me and tell her what an inspiration she is to me and everyone at Craig.

Mary Carol